[hobbit] Delayed recovery (was: bbretest-net.sh)

Asif Iqbal iqbala-hobbit at qwestip.net
Sun May 8 20:15:09 CEST 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 06:16:30PM, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 07:02:48AM +0200, lars ebeling wrote:
> >
> > I would like to have an option to bbretest-net so that I could configure
> > how long time a service should be up before changing status.
> >
> > I have since 2 days a very unstable internetconnection, that goes from red
> > to green to red........
> > Perhaps green for 30 secs.
>
> I think this is a more general issue, not just for the network re-test.
>
> Currently, if a status goes from red -> green, it clears all of the
> alert- and acknowledge information. I think it would make sense to delay
> that slightly - so that if it goes red again within that short period of
> time, it will not restart all of the alerts and require a new
> acknowledge for the alerts to go away.
>
> How long should this delay be - should it be configurable on a per-host
> or per-test basis ? Or just a global setting ?

I would say may be a 10 mins by default to global. (Current I am
disabling, for 10 mins, when the network test flaps like that.) And allow per-host
which will take precedence if defined. And per host/test which will take
precedence on per-host if defined.

In other words may be take precedence in this order
per-host-test
per-host
global

Also 10 mins unless defined per-host or per-host-test

Thanks

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu