[hobbit] Help with graphing

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri May 6 10:02:18 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 02:45:29PM +0800, Vernon Everett wrote:
> /var/lib/hobbit/rrd/aufin2/tablespace.rrd: can't parse argument
> 'DS:siebprod.XDB:GAUGE:600:0:100'
[snip]
> /var/lib/hobbit/rrd/aufin2/tablespace.rrd: can't parse argument
> 'DS:siebprod_LOADER_DATA:GAUGE:600:0:100'

I'd advise anyone trying to do custom graphs to read the "rrdcreate"
man-page from RRDtool. Here you'll find this:

    A ds-name must be 1 to 19 characters long in the
    characters [a-zA-Z0-9_].

[no graphs show up]
> My hobbitgraph.cfg entry for this looks like this.
>
> ---snip---
> [ora9-sga]
>         FNPATTERN tablespace(.*).rrd
>         TITLE TableSpace Utilization
>         YAXIS % Full
>         DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE

The DEF: line here is wrong. The "pct" here is the name of the dataset
you want to graph - the same string that you use in the "DS:" definition
of the RRD file. So to get a graph of the siebprod_XDB data, you should
have
          DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:siebprod_XDB:AVERAGE
          LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@

If you want to graph more than one dataset in a single image, you just
add more DEF and LINE entries - but make sure you keep a unique name for
each of the DEF's you define. E.g.

          DEF:whsidx at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:siebprod_WHS_INDEX:AVERAGE
          DEF:whsdata at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:siebprod_WHS_DATA:AVERAGE
          LINE2:whsidx at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
          LINE2:whsdata at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@

But that is usually not a good idea when you are also combining multiple
RRD files into one graph.