[hobbit] MACROS

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Mar 31 05:08:36 CEST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:33:45PM -0500, Kevin.Hanrahan at novainfo.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>  when using macros to define a group of email addresses, is there a
> delimiter required to string them together?? Or do I need to enclose them in
> quotes?...as in:

None of that is needed. This one

> $ALERTGROUP=kevin at domain.com bob at domain.com joe at domain.com

will work, assuming you use it like

    HOST=*
        MAIL $ALERTGROUP COLOR=red

Comma-delimited also works for some people, but that depends on your
"mail" program. Why? Because a definition like this

  $ALERTGROUP=kevin at domain.com,bob at domain.com,joe at domain.com

ends up being passed as a command-line parameter to the $MAIL
program. So if your mail-program understands a list of recipients
separated by commas, it is actually more efficient because Hobbit only
needs to run the mail program once with the comma-separated list of
recipients.