[hobbit] How to integrate Hobbit and MRTG

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Mar 23 18:37:19 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 17:48 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> I've been playing about with MRTG today, and found out that adding
> MRTG graphs to the Hobbit set of graphs was a very simple task.
> Since this is probably something that others can use, I've written
> up a short description of how to do it:
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/hobbit-mrtg.html
>
> The short story is that you can configure MRTG so that it stores its
> datafiles in RRDtool format directly into the directory where Hobbit
> looks for all of the other RRD files for a host.

That's ok for a few, but it won't scale terribly well.  I have over 5000
points that I am currently monitoring with mrtg.  I have that broken
down into a three tier directory structure (region - site - device),
with all of the thresholds and alerting from bbmrtg.pl.

Is there a way I can point to my existing rrd directory structure for
the graphing bit - which bbmrtg.pl doesn't do terribly well - but still
keep my stuff in its nice hierarchy?