[hobbit] Excluding Hosts from Paging at certain times

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Mar 11 07:43:10 CET 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:35:40AM +1100, ZanDAhaR wrote:

> We have just upgraded from bb after 5 years or so to hobbit and we're not
> looking back. We have some servers that have to be rebooted on a daily basis
> due to some of the poorly written software (not by us) that runs on them. I
> have tred using the DOWNTIME= option on the BB hosts but it only seems to
> ignore the net tests like http, conn etc. The server still has the bb client
> installed on it so when the server comes back up the bb client starts before
> some of the monitored services start and therefore marks them red and we get
> paged on them.

That doesn't sound right - the DOWNTIME setting should trigger on any
test status that goes into Hobbit, whether it is a client-side or
network-test.

I'll setup something similar here and see if I can reproduce this.

> We have one alert that goes out via email and then to sortof a mailing list,
> and then another line that does email-to-pager. I was thinking something
> along the lines of what I have below although I am not sure about the TIME
> statement if you can have comma separated values, ,if you can pass midnight
> such as TIME=*:0910:0900

"Yes" to both questions. You can definitely have a list of
comma-separated settings, and wrapping around midnight also works. You
can try running "hobbitd_alert --test HOSTNAME TESTNAME" and see how
it decides which alerts to send out.

Your configuration looks OK to me.