[hobbit] completely confused

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 9 21:46:32 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:52:27AM -0600, Tim Rotunda wrote:

> Now the $64k question is can I get BB-Central to work with my Hobbit
> Server/BB1.9 Client install.  I fear I need to have BB-Server running,
> but we shall see unless someone can spare me the pain of learning this
> on my own.

I've had a look at bb-central today, and it doesn't seem terribly
difficult to make it work with Hobbit.

There are two issues that I've found so far.

1) bb-central reads the bbsys.sh and bbdef.sh files from BB to pick up
   the locations of various tools. This is easily handled by having it
   read hobbitserver.cfg instead - either change bb-central files to
   read that file, or setup a symlink from bbdef.sh and bbsys.sh to
   hobbitserver.cfg.

2) bb-central uses the "bbnet" utility from BB to check if a server is
   up before it starts connecting to it with ssh. There is no bbnet
   utility included with Hobbit, so some replacement for that must be
   found.

Other than that, it seems that bb-central uses the normal "bb" tool to
send in status reports for the hosts it monitors, and that should work
without any problems.

I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can get it running. I
think I may have to setup a page on how to port popular BB server-side
extensions to Hobbit - bb-central could be the first item on that
page.