[hobbit] two hobbit servers on the same machine

Henrik Storner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 2 22:38:22 CET 2005

In <005401c51f00$63da0220$2b01d59f at pcma13319new> "Marco Avvisano" <m.avvisano at mail.regione.toscana.it> writes:

>I try to install two hobbit servers that shared the data directory. What do
>you think about?

You cannot run to hobbit servers off the same data directory. There is
no file locking in hobbit, so you would easily end up with garbage
files.

>Do you think it's possible to force the restore status, for one server,
>every xx seconds from the file hobbitd.chk?

Sorry Marco, but I simply cannot figure out what it is you are trying
to accomplish with this setup. I have a strong feeling that you are
doing something very simple in an extremely complicated way.

I *think* you want to setup a server with two sets of hosts - one set
is for use by one group, and another set is used by a different
group.

If you want these two completely separate, setup two full Hobbit
installations - two userid's, two server-directories, two
data-directories, everything completely separate. When you build the
two installations, build them with different BBPORT settings so you
can have both hobbitd's running at the same time - or better: If you
have extra IP addresses available, let each of them have their own IP
address so you don't need to worry about changing port numbers. If
everything runs on the same server, you can use 127.0.0.1 and
127.0.0.2 !

Each installation runs his own network tests, so they will also be
separate.

The only problem I see is if you want data from client
installations. That's where you use bbproxy. Set it up to receive
client messages, and forward them to both of the two hobbit daemons.