[hobbit] Redundant Hobbit Servers

Arnoud Post arnoud at koekiemonster.com
Tue Jun 21 19:33:24 CEST 2005

Michael,

I have not yet put 2 or more Hobbit servers in a redundant configuration. Although I have build a
simular setting with 2 BB servers. Here are a few hints:

For (configuration) file syncing don't count on Hobbit, use other tools like rsync or even better
cvs with pserver. Another option here is using clustering tools, have a look at
http://tentakel.biskalar.de/similar for a list of handy distribution scripts or try tentakel self.
This is a nice way to push bb-hosts files to your clients too.

I'm sure you have allready made both servers a BBdisplay and BBnet in your bb-hosts file, and
configured all your clients this way also so they report to both servers.
Make both of them BBpager too, just one with a filled hobbit-alert.cfg (master) and one with an
empty hobbit-alert.cfg (slave). In the master hobbit-alert.cfg make a rule which runs a script when
bbd is red or purple on your slave hobbitserver. This script has to login through ssh and copy the
master hobbit-alert.cfg over your slave hobbit-alert.cfg.
Now your second hobbitserver is master (next to your first hobbitserver).

Good luck!
Arnoud Post