[hobbit] Http test behind proxy

Kevin Hanrahan Kevin at ewormhole.com
Fri Jan 28 19:42:51 CET 2005

Henrik,
Thank you for that info. In doing this I noticed something that may not be
considered a bug but maybe an annoyance?...you decide.

The format stated is:

 If your proxy requires authentication, you can specify the username and
password inside the proxy-part of the URL, e.g.

    http://fred:Wilma1@webproxy.sample.com:3128/http://www.foo.com/
will authenticate to the proxy using a username of "fred" and a password of
"Wilma1", before requesting the proxy to fetch the www.foo.com homepage

But my password contains the "@" symbol (which appears to be the delimiter
between password and proxy server) and when I used it in this example:

http://kevin:p@ssword@webproxy.sample.com:8080/http://www.foo.com/

I got a DNS error. I am guessing it thought my proxy was "ssword" or maybe
"ssword at webproxy.sample.com which is incorrect and could no be resolved.
Is there a way around this?

In my case, I just created another user with a password that didn't contain
the "@" but this might not be possible for others.