A combo message of questions

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Sun Jan 23 11:56:02 CET 2005

I have several questions, so I'm just going to ask them all at once :)

1. Is there any way to define the amount of space put between displayed
groups? When I use several group-compress sections in bb-hosts, hobbit
renders the page with a rather large amount (seems like 6+ lines) of
blank space between them.  I have lots of hosts and want to get as many
of them on the page as I can.

2. It would be nice to be able to use regular expressions in the
"expect" option of bb-services. For instance I want to check the status
of several IRC servers, and they all have different output in response
to telnetting to them, but they all have the word "NOTICE", I would like
to be able to do something like: expect ".*NOTICE.*", so that I could
use one check for multiple servers.

3. Whenever I use the "apache" keyword in bb-hosts, it crashes hobbit,
and subsequently everything turns purple.  I made sure the host I had
specified had the server-status option configured and enabled. I would
happily provide dumps and do any troubleshooting you need, as I would
really like to have the apache performance graphs.

4. Is there any way to put a header OVER a displayed group-compress? Any
text you specify next to group-compress gets put in the column over the
hostnames, Is it possible to have an option to have that text go
centered over the entire group (over the column headers)?

5. What rules does hobbit follow for looking up hostnames? I put the IP
of a host in bb-hosts, along with a "fake" hostname.domainname.  Hobbit
insisted on trying to ping (and other tests) on the DNS looked up IP of
the hostname.domainname, instead of using the IP I specified in
bb-hosts. Basically I have a host with IP 1.2.3.4, so in bb-hosts I have
"1.2.3.4  foo.bar.com # ssh smtp ftp". foo.bar.com actually resolves to
some other IP, and hobbit is trying to do the network tests against that
instead of the 1.2.3.4 I specified. I have temporarily resolved it by
using a fake name that doesnt resolve to anything, which seems to make
hobbit use the IP in bb-hosts.

6. bb-services has an option to give a service multiple names. It would
be nice to be able to define multiple ports as well, or even better by
specifying them in bb-hosts.  For example if I want to check an IRC
server, it is easy to create an irc service in bb-services, but if I
want to check multiple ports of the same service on the same hosts, I
would have to make multiple service definitions. How about being able to
define a service, and have some keyword for port that indicates the
port(s) are passed from bb-hosts, and then in bb-hosts you would specify
the port, ie. "1.2.3.4 irc.bar.com # conn irc:6667 irc:6668 irc:6669"

7. Do you accept donations via PayPal? I would like to send you a
donation for all your hard work. :-)

-Charles