feature request: display amount of time that an acknowledged alert has till next page

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at nandomedia.com
Fri Feb 25 15:21:17 CET 2005

I've been testing out the acknowledgment feature in hobbit and thought
of a feature that would be helpful, at least to me:

Underneath the line "Acked by:" it'd be cool to have a line that used
the estimated time to repair value the user entered and displayed a
message like "Repair completion time is estimated to be XX:XX"

For example, say my webserver's filesystem fills up unexpectedly and
needs to be cleaned out, so the oncall engineer acknowledges the page
and thinks it'll take him 20 mins to get things back in order.  It's
8:25AM when the oncall engineer acknowledges the page and starts
removing old files on the webserver.

The status display in hobbit would be:

Status unchanged in 0 hours, 15 minutes
Status message received from 0.0.0.0
Current acknowledgment: Removing runaway process log files
Acked by: oncallsupport (1.1.1.1)
Repair completion time is estimated to be: 8:45AM

with this additional line at the bottom, so that users not working on
the alert can have an idea of what is being done and when to expect
it'll be corrected.

Tom