[hobbit] Problem with some hobbit manpages

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Feb 14 17:49:55 CET 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 05:38:44PM +0100, Frédéric Mangeant wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm not allowed to access any hobbit manpage whose name include "cgi" (for
> example bb-hostsvc.cgi.1.html); it results in
>
> [Mon Feb 14 17:21:48 2005] [error] [client 10.50.8.55] Options ExecCGI is
> off in this directory:
> /home/hobbit/hobbit/server/www/help/manpages/man1/bb-hostsvc.cgi.1.html,
> referer: http://10.50.8.10/hobbit/help/manpages/

It's Apache that sees the ".cgi" in the filename and mistakes it for a
CGI script.

> What can I change besides adding "Options ExecCGI" for my /hobbit/ alias ?

Dont do that - it will try to run the man-page as a program, instead
of showing it.

I had this problem on one server, and fixed it a while back. I'm not
quite sure what I did, but it was probably just finding the line

   AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

in the Apache config, and removing it. However, this does it on a
system-wide basis, so if you have CGI scripts enabled and allow your
users to use CGI by creating files named "someting.cgi", then you
probably don't want to do that.