[hobbit] Alert Rules - DURATION not working

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at nandomedia.com
Wed Feb 2 20:43:55 CET 2005

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 03:26:25PM +0000, David Gore wrote:

>  > My 15 minute DURATION fired.  I don't think it is a coincidence that it
>  > fired at 1 day and 5 hours.  I think the earlier possible bug where when
>  > you specify 15m you get a particularly large number is probably where
>  > the problem is.

I've been testing with DURATION>10 since I last posted to the list,
which showed up as 600s and only tested against one time:

"failed minduration 0<600"

I would've expected to see something like this:

Start hobbit, it runs though all the alerts at time=0 when "duration=0"

page.log
<snip>
"failed minduration 0<600"

5 mins later, when it checks again with "duration=300"

<snip>
"failed minduration 300<600"

5 mins later, duration=minduration and it doesn't fail the test, so it's
time to send an alert.

Or, quite possibly, I don't know what I am talking about.

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

> I tend to agree, but I've been too busy with "real" work these past
> days, so I haven't had time to investigate it.

If I can be of any assistance in helping debug this by testing patches
or alert conditions, just ask.

But
> if definitely showed that the repeat thing works ... I got about 900
> mails for different services that failed because my external gateway
> was down.

:)  Nothing better than a real world event to stress test monitoring
system...