[hobbit] out-of-inodes hobbit conn error for all 300 systems

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Dec 17 08:43:31 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:11:18PM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am running solaris 9. My hobbit is running off of /export/home/hobbit
> dir. The `df -i` shows
> /dev/md/dsk/d30      1005696 1005005     691  100% /export/home
[snip]
> Either I think of using these resources, like may be creating some RAM
> disks (Henrik had a tip on that, cant find it) or get rid of `hist'
> folder which has about 4000 files in it. I really like to keep the
> `hist' files for report and going back to check for old events.

Keep the "hist" folder - there's only one file per status you have in
Hobbit, and there won't be more.

What you should have a look at is the "histlogs" folder. This holds a
copy of each status log whenever a status change occurred - and it gets
*really* large over time. These historical status logs are only used
when you look at the history of a status, and click on the red button
off the "Jun 16 2003 14:21:58" event to see the detailed status log.

What I do on my production systems is to archive the history logs once
a month, and then deleting those history logs that are older than 3
months. So you can get the full, detailed status of any event that
happened within the past 3 months; if you need to go further back than
that, it is still visible in the history view, but you'll need to
extract the detailed status log from the tar file to see all of the
details.

Feel free to use this snippet from my monthly cron job - it requires
the GNU date utility. Right now, you will of course need to clean up
your histlogs directory by hand, the snippet below only processes
the histlog-files one month at a time.

cd /var/lib/hobbit/data

# Archive histlogs generated in the past month
FNPATTERN=`date --date="today -1 month" +"???_%b_*_%Y"`
ARCFN=`date --date="today -1 month" +"histlogs_%Y_%m.cpio.gz"`
find histlogs -name "$FNPATTERN" | cpio -o --format=newc | gzip >archive/$ARCFN

# Delete histlogs from 4 months ago (so we always have the last 3 months online)
FNPATTERN=`date --date="today -4 months" +"???_%b_*_%Y"`
find histlogs -name "$FNPATTERN" | xargs rm