[hobbit] Client interval question

Tracy J. Di Marco White gendalia at iastate.edu
Tue Dec 13 20:47:48 CET 2005

In message <139E0D6D-28B0-4576-A033-3525AD2970CA at PacketPushers.com>, Scott Walters writes:
}
}> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 01:12:20PM -0600, Jeff Newman wrote:
}>>
}>> I wanted to move from a 5 minute interval on all my clients to a 1
}>> minute
}>> interval.
}>>
}
}In all my years of Systems Administration, things that run every
}minute all the time usually end up being a "Bad Idea".
}
}How will a smaller sampling period improve the service you provide?

We run pretty much all of our big brother tests every minute.  On
our new hobbit servers, we're running them at the default intervals.

BB shows us that our primary name server is going out for less than
a minute, about every 62 minutes.  Hobbit is missing most of those
outages, although the longer "xxxx events received in the last xxx
minutes" is what helped us spot the problem, as a whole bunch of
machines' services don't respond well when our primary name server
is out, and having a mass of servers go yellow then green, in
unison, is sort of eye catching.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Information Technology Services
Iowa State University