[hobbit] Virtual hosts, floating IPs, clustering

David Gore David.Gore at mci.com
Sun Aug 14 21:21:20 CEST 2005

Anton,

I believe you are referencing 5.x clustering which is quite a bit
different, i.e. much better than 4.x clustering or at least so I am
told.  4.x clusters have one primary and 1 dedicated failover.  We have
4 node clusters.  So we have one service each running on each of the 3
hosts, and 1 dedicated failover host.  If 1 service fails it will run on
the failover host.  If 2 services fail, then you are in trouble because
it will try to run on the failover host as well.

Each service can only run on one of two hosts, it's home host and the
failover.  Although each host in the cluster does have common processes
(the same name and function), the service has a list of processes, it
runs specific to the service.  So when the service fails and moves to a
different server (the failover host), I have to accomodate for that.
The file systems although very similar, if not identical, they do have
differnent names.

It will look like this:

host1(host-ip1) service1(service1-ip) host-procs disk-fs service1-procs
service2-fs

host2(host-ip2) service2(service2-ip) host-procs disk-fs service2-procs
service2-fs

host3(host-ip3) service3(service3-ip) host-procs disk-fs service3-procs
service3-fs

host4(host-ip4) host-procs disk-fs

So it's easy to report for host1-4, and host-procs and disk-fs and it
would be easy to report for the services, if they never failed and
stayed on the same host.

It's when the service fails and it's procs and filesystems are no longer
running on the host that was originally reporting those procs and
filesytems, that is a problem.  And then again, when it is failed back.
  That is why I report the service (host) and physical (host) as two
hosts on Hobbit and why I will have some duplication.

What I have done is to modify runclient.sh to determine, if the host is
running a service and to start a second copy of hobbitlaunch.  I have
also modified the hobbitlaunch to go to hostname specific, PID files,
and CFG files.  I also have 2 entries in bb-hosts for each server, 1 for
the physical host and 1 for the service host.  I will check every 10
minutes via cron, to make sure hobbitlaunch is running and whether it
should be running 1 copy of hobbitlaunch (failover host) or 2 copies (1
for the physical host and 1 for the service).

I do not know if this is the best way to handle my situation or not, but
it should work.

David Gore (v965-3670)
Enhanced Technology Support (ETS)
Network Management Systems (NMS)