[hobbit] client regex, % on web page

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 11 23:05:44 CEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 08:09:44PM +0000, David Gore wrote:
> With 'ps -ef'
>
> webTemip.server.start.TemipServer (found 1,  req. 1 or more)
>
> With 'ps wwaux'
>
> %SystemMate (found 1,  req. 1 or more)
>
> These are the same process.  Everyone here knows what SystemMate is, but
> they may not know what the first instance is.
>
> I know I asked this before, but I didn't know if you may have missed it.

Didn't miss it, just haven't decided about it yet.

The simple solution is to just relax the process-name check so it
matches if the search string is found anywhere in the commandline.
That's what BB does, and it is probably what I am going to do.

> I can imagine the regex parsing can be quite complicated, so I was just
> wondering if you were still looking at removing the '%' from the web
> page.

I can do that - no problem - but it does bring up the issue of how to
report it. Your example is very straight-forward, but I can imagine
some setup where you use more complex regular expressions ... is it
really OK for Hobbit to present

    ^j[234]+.*(re|vm) (found 4, req. 2 or more)

and expect anyone to nod and say "yup, looks all-right to me" ?

Or should there be some way of providing a human-readable text so
ordinary users (read: PHB's) can make sense of it ?

> I was also wondering do the config files actually support all the
> perl regex characters like \s, \d+ etc...?

It does, thanks to the PCRE library being used.