[hobbit] Adding a host

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Aug 8 23:09:41 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 04:59:35PM -0400, Aiello, Steve (Corporate, consultant) wrote:

> > The Hobbit client uses the hostname obtained from "uname -n"
> > as the hostname it reports for the cpu, memory etc. tests. If
> > that's not identical to what you have in the bb-hosts file,
> > add a "CLIENT:hostname" tag on the entry in your bb-hosts file.
> >
> I added the CLIENT tag, and I see the alias listed in info for that
> host. When I do 'uname -n' on the firewall I get the short hostname. I
> am still not seeing the CPU, MEM, etc. What I have in my hosts file on
> the hobbit server is:
> 192.168.123.1	loki.home.net		# CLIENT:loki

Give it a few minutes - hobbitd only loads the bb-hosts file once
in a while and needs to pick up this change first. (You can do
"killall -HUP hobbitd" to make it reload immediately).

Then your client needs to send in a report, which also happens
at 5 minute intervals - check the timestamp on the
~hobbit/client/tmp/msg.txt file.

Checking for connectivity: From the client machine (your firewall),
try doing "telnet <your Hobbit server IP-address> 1984" - if it
says "Connected to <ip-address>" then the connectivity is OK. If not,
then you need to check firewall rules.

And do check that your client has the right configuration - I've
made the mistake myself of having BBDISP set wrongly in the
client config in ~hobbit/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg ...