[hobbit] feature request aliasnames

Rolf Schrittenlocher Schrittenlocher at rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Aug 1 08:49:07 CEST 2005

Hi Henrik,

> Hi Rolf,
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:06:53PM +0200, Rolf Schrittenlocher wrote:
>
>>We are working with virtual hosts. Our services are linked to virtual
>>hostnames, each machine may have a number of virtual hostnames. So one
>>machine should be able to send reports using different hostnames. In bb
>>we had bbaliasname for that purpose which set a limit of 2 to the number
>>of names usable. There we had to hack bbinc, bb-bbexttab, etc.
>

> So what you're asking for is that each virtual server can have the full
> set of client status messages: cpu, disk, memory and so on - but these
> should just be copies of the status messages from the real server, not
> data obtained by querying the virtual server ?

That is part of but not totally what we'd like to have. The problem are
extension scripts on clients. An example:
One machine may be nameserver using the name xxxdns.uni-frankfurt.de,
webserver using the alias xxxweb.uni-frankfurt.de and databaseserver
using xxxdb.uni-frankfurt.de at the same time. Each of these aliases has
local extension scripts running which send data to (so far) bb-display.
In bb we hacked bbinc.sh to get $MACHINE set to the first alias and we
could use bbaliasname to enable a second alias. bbexttab is created
dynamically so extension scripts for these two aliases will work. There
is no way I see so far (except of starting these scripts by crontab
instead of bb-client) to enable more than these two aliases to work
correctly with extension scripts.

kind regards
Rolf

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Rolf Schrittenlocher

HRZ/BDV, Senckenberganlage 31, 60054 Frankfurt
Tel. Sammelnr. LBS: (49) 69 - 798 28830
Fax: (49) 69 798 28817
LBS: lbs-f at mlist.uni-frankfurt.de

Persoenlich: schritte at rz.uni-frankfurt.de