[hobbit] Comments wanted - OK to drop BB support in Hobbit?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Apr 21 15:10:02 CEST 2005

> Well, I don't see any problem with this, but I would like to
> see bbclient compatibility remain. I don't think hobbit yet
> has the right amount of client tests to be able to ignore
> what BB has. ie, even just the standard BB client works
> better than the current hobbit version (not that I've tried
> it, since you keep telling us it doesn't work)... but add to
> that all the stuff on www.deadcat.net, and, well... you
> know, thats a lot to try and replicate...

Losing deadcat stuff would be a bad thing.  I guess that's part
of breaking away.  Hobbit will just need to spring something
up like deadbunny or some other typical pet for a Hobbit.

> To be honest, I wonder if the quest version of BB is
> actually selling/successful... ie, are there still loads
> of new BB users sprouting up, or is it just old BTF
> license users who are using/maintaining old BB
> installations.... We haven't seen any BTF releases,
> and I've not seen anything anywhere to indicate that
> there have been any commercial updates/changes either.

There haven't been many commercial updates, and it looks
like Quest is starting to move away from giving the source
out. I got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago, inviting me
to try the new BBPe 3.1.  Interestingly enough, there
is a pdf on their site that goes through the differences
between the Pe and BTF versions, and there's really only
one - integration with SpotLight and FogLight.

Apparently the QA cycle for the new features is much
longer than when it used to be purely BTF.

Paul