[Xymon] alerts.cfg rules for specific files, libs, ports and procs?

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 18:38:49 CET 2024

On 29/01/2024 14:46, Jaap Winius via Xymon wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is it possible to write rules for alerts.cfg that are triggered not by
> state changes for services, such as imap or http, but instead for
> specific files, libs, ports and procs? If so, what would they look like?

The rules used to trigger alerts.cfg are combinations of things like
test name, colour, duration, but not the particular contents of a status
message.

If you just want to alert when the procs test has been red for 5
minutes, that's straightforward:

SERVICE=procs COLOR=red DURATION>5 MAIL alert at example.com

If you only want to alert based on the actual contents of a status
message, I think you'd need to implement a custom SCRIPT as the alert
recipient and have it take whatever action you like based upon the
content of $BBALPHAMSG .

The default alerts.cfg provided with xymon contains a pretty full
description of how alerting rules work, in combination with "man
alerts.cfg":

https://fossies.org/linux/xymon/xymond/etcfiles/alerts.cfg.DIST
https://manpages.org/alertscfg/5

Adam