[Xymon] Can XYMSRV be a fqdn/hostname not an IP

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 14 15:50:50 CET 2024

On 2/13/24 12:25 PM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:
> It's fine to do this, just with the caveat that this introduces
> working DNS resolution as a requirement for client log submission.

Minor nitpick:  This requires working /name/ /resolution/.  Anything
that provides name resolution; DNS being one option, will suffice.

I've been using /etc/hosts with great success in an environment without
otherwise functional DNS.

I also assume that NIS(+) could be used for name resolution.  I wonder
if LDAP could be used like NIS(+) can be.  <thinking face>

> This might be an OK tradeoff if, as you say, you're doing migration,
> or have a floating xymon VIP, or are doing other things with xymonproxy
> and need admin flexibility w/o touching every machine.

One *BIG* advantage for me to use the "xymonhost" name is that
configuration files are consistent in the Xymon client.  That way the
Xymon client files can be common / identical across multiple clients.
The thing that needs to be different is in /etc/hosts which is dedicated
to each client.  --  Think /usr being a read only NFS mount.

I have /usr/local/hobbit/client/tmp and /usr/local/hobbit/client/logs (?
singular / plural ??? not enough caffeine to be fully awake?) be
sym-links to /tmp/hobbit.d which -- like /etc -- is also specific to
clients.  The rest of the clients on the system have identical
configuration.

I naively assume that the fully qualified domain name would work.  I
similarly assume that a partially qualified domain name would also work
with the rest of the systems name resolution configuration; e.g.
<host>.<site> would work in conjunction with numdots (?memory?) setting
to make the system treat a single dot as unqualified while treating two
(or more) dots as fully qualified; thereby making <host>.<site>
compatible with search domains.  }:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die