[Xymon] Port Check on a Server

Tom Schmidt tom at 4schmidts.com
Mon Apr 22 16:52:22 CEST 2024

The analysis.cfg file is used to analyze the results sent by the client
monitor.  Since you do not have a Xymon client on the client side, you need
to instead do the port testing from the Xymon server.  This would be put in
the hosts.cfg file.  See
https://xymon.sourceforge.io/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html
under the "Simple Network Tests" section.  FTP, ssh and https tests are
already standardly built-in.  Since you want to make sure ssh is closed,
use "!ssh" on the hosts.cfg line for the host. For your custom ports, you
could use syntax like ftp:571 if the response on port 571 is similar to
FTP.  You can experiment by using telnet to the ports to see what kind of
response they give, such as "telnet host 571".

Tom