[Xymon] Case sensitivity in host+svc names

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sun Sep 24 22:09:19 CEST 2023

Curious if anyone out there has run into issues resulting from case
sensitivity in hostnames (either self-report from the clientlog, or in
hosts.cfg) or test names. Although I imagine this is fairly uncommon in
the Linux/BSD world, I've seen AIX and Solaris systems with mixed-case
hostnames, and I imagine users of BBWin can run into this a lot.

Have you had issues with graphs not displaying, or any mismatch from
filesystem assets (like static-generated status HTML pages or notes) that
become unavailable after a name change? Or analysis.cfg or custom
xymondboard queries failing?

Looking at the PCRE->PCRE2 transition, there are a few places where case
options are called out differently. If xymon were to canonically
store/convert to lowercase internally that would help keep things cleaner,
and also allow a lot of strcasecmp's in xtree lookups to become strcmp's.

Regards,
-jc