[Xymon] Can custom client-side tests leverage the server-side value in analysis.cfg?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Oct 17 04:53:17 CEST 2023

On 10/16/23 9:10 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> Yes. One of the things I love about Xymon is that it's extremely
> flexible so that you get to choose from a range of different ways to
> solve a problem, based on your skillset, environment, and preferences.
> It's modular and extensible.

That's what I'm seeing.  I appreciate a good set of LEGOs.

> Yes, one way (see my previous comment ;-). But it's also the way Xymon
> does it internally. Well, kind-of. Instead of "asks the xymond daemon" a
> xymon module connects to a channel and receives from the xymon daemon.
> But the data flow is pretty much the same, and I suppose that's what
> I was trying to convey, while avoiding the technical complexities.

Fair enough.

> Yes indeed. You're really getting into the nitty-gritty of things. Most
> Xymon admins never have to know that channels are a thing, because
> they're mostly used for Xymon to talk to itself (eg to parse a client
> data message and create status messages). So consider yourself levelled-up!

Thank you.

I did /try/ to do my homework and do /try/ to ask intelligent questions.
  Sometimes I fail.

> When writing server-side extensions that use client data, you can write
> your own parser that periodically fetches the latest client message, or
> you can tap into the channel to get it. Xymon taps into the channel.

ACK

> Oh my! Isn't AIX5.3 like a decade beyond end-of-support?

At least.

Does "legacy" and "out to pasture" or even "business critical" mean
anything to you?  My $DAY_JOB is care and feeding of old systems that
nobody else wants to touch.  I enjoy it and it pays the bills.

> Good to see.
>
> About the "sections" patch? I don't know much about the background to
> its conception and existence, but there's probably a CHANGELOG and that
> might provide some info. If you haven't yet, perhaps install an RPM from
> the Terabithia website, or unpack an SRPM to review any extra README
> files or the like.

$READING_LIST++

> Yes indeed. I've not started testing this yet myself.

I might consider standing up a 4.3.30 xymonproxy that receives messages
and sends them to 4.3.30 running on another port and 4.4.x running on
another system.

Though I suspect I need to have a better understanding of the client /
server hierarchy talked about in my 2nd thread.

> LoL.

:-)

--
Grant. . . .