Can custom client-side tests leverage the server-side value in analysis.cfg?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Oct 13 02:23:17 CEST 2023

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Xymon -- working with it for three months at a new
job -- and am wondering about how to have a custom client-side test
leverage the value of the server-side analysis.cfg.

Do I /have/ /to/ declare a color in a `status` or `data` message to Xymon?

Is there a way to have the color be determined by a value in the
server-side analysis.cfg file?

E.g. I'd like to write a custom test to monitor /var/spool/mqueue on
multiple MTAs and I'd like to have different values for the green /
yellow / red levels on different servers.

Ideally I'd like the custom client-side test that I put in
${XYMONHOME}/ext/ to be identical across all clients and the only
difference being the value each system has in the analysis.cfg file on
the server.

Am I /required/ to send a color; green, yellow, red, and then have
something override / update that color server side?  Or can I omit the
color and let something server side set it using values for the given
client?

I'm thinking about things like DISK / LOAD / etc. where I can set warn
and critical levels, or even ignore.

Or am I looking at a custom server-side xymond_channel receiver that
will receive `data` (?) from the client and alter things?  --  Even that
`data` is likely going to require a color.

Would someone with more experience with Xymon than me give me a pointer
in a direction that I can go research?

Please and thank you.

--
Grant. . . .