[Xymon] Suggested patch for allowing regexp in group-except directive

Mark Stitson mark at stitson.com
Wed Oct 4 13:19:25 CEST 2023

Hi JC,

At work I maintain a Xymon install with around 3000 hosts and 90000 checks. We have a lot of custom checks, some of which I want to share in the community in the future including a quite comprehensive Python client library.

One of the things we have is a set of automated checks that check the smart status of every drive we have. (Some hosts have 120 drives.) It generates a number of checks per host like ‘smart-sda’, ‘smart-sdb’ and also a combo test called ‘smarts’. I have a patch that I always apply to the Xymon source that allows me to use a regexp in the ‘group-except’ directive in hosts.cfg, so I can hide ‘%smart-.*|othertest’, rather than having to specify ‘smart-sda|smart-sdb|othertest’ and any other drive that may appear.

I think this patch may be useful for more people than just me, so can we please include this?

Kind regards

Mark

PS: I am also happy to help with testing of new releases and features at home or at work on a larger data set.