[Xymon] Xymon Server on RHEL9

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Nov 29 18:37:20 CET 2023

Colin's question was related directly to NTP with RHEL 9. Mine is more
general, but I think related enough to go here.

Our Xymon servers are running on CentOS 7. I need to look at my options
to get those replaced (or turned into) Linux 8 or 9. Alma Linux is where
I've taken other hosts in this situation; mostly to 9, but one to 8 due
to package availability.

When we moved our Xymon service from Solaris to Linux, it was
(obviously) a completely new deployment. Our current Xymon servers have
lots of things besides Xymon running on them. There are external hosts
pushing files in via scp through service accounts, and local cron jobs
consuming those files to generate test results (and special Xymon web
pages). There are customization to the apache web server handling
authentication and delivering non-Xymon (but related) content. And other
stuff I'm sure I've forgotten about. It's going to be whole lot of work
to re-build all of this on a new host, and move traffic to it.

I've used 'elevate <https://almalinux.org/elevate/>' (from Red Hat's
'Leapp') with several other systems to lift them from CentOS 7 to CentOS
Stream 8, or Alma 8 & 9. It wasn't as simple as falling off a log, and
it wasn't successful in all cases, but in several cases it did what it
was supposed to do and saved us a huge amount of work.

Has anyone tried "elevating" their older Linux Xymon server to Linux 9 ?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska