[Xymon] Missing support for HTTP/2 ?

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Wed Nov 1 15:53:00 CET 2023

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 02:21:04PM +0100, Ingeborg Hellemo via Xymon wrote:
> I have a webserver which works ok when you visit it in a browser or when you
> use curl, but Xymon http test shows "SSL error". Tests with "openssl s_client"
> from the command line works as expected.
>
> Could the culprit be that xymonnet does not support HTTP/2 ?

I don't think so. It's probably more an issue of incompatible ciphers
or so. Or is that an HTTP/2-only server? So far I'm also not aware of
any HTTP/2 only (production) web server. Maybe this will come in the
future.

But yeah, as far as I know, xymonnet does not support HTTP/2 — nor
HTTP/3. Then again, it might be possible to implement a minimal client
via protocols.cfg hex syntax like with e.g. ajp13 or rdp. But if the
handshake needs anything outside the standard TLS handshake (and I'm
not that versed in HTTP/2), it will not work.

And indeed, builtin xymonnet support for HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 would be
nice, especially if you could monitor the availability of protocol
versions separately (like for HTTPS and HTTP). But I suspect this
would need an 3rd party library like curl or nghttp2 to be used.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe at deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet