[Xymon] xymon.org cloudFlare is expired

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Mon Dec 11 22:30:11 CET 2023

Hi Henrik,

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 09:37:11PM +0100, Henrik Juul Størner via Xymon wrote:
> > Does the Xymon team/Henrik/etc have access to xymon.org ?
> > https://xymon.org gives a CloudFlare error.
>
> I had it registered, but since it had never been used I decided to let it
> expire.

well, "never been used" seems wrong to me. It existed and worked. That
alone, plus the fact that people guessed it, sufficed for it being
used in the wild.

Additionally many open source folks think that an open source
project's website should sport the non-commerical .org TLD instead of
.com and as xymon.org worked, they linked to it without thinking
further that there might have been a redirect in it.

Luckily I so far only found one occurrence in a Debian package — which
I just fixed.

In my humble opinion, if you ever buy a domain, you're responsible for
it not becoming a link spammer farm for more or less forever. Which
means that you should probably never let it expire... And yes, that
costs a small bit of money.

P.S.: Thanks to Josh for noticing and reporting!

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe at deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet