[Xymon] Histlog file format anomaly - epochtimestamps

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Fri Aug 25 04:42:37 CEST 2023

Hi y'all

We've setup some new RHEL 7.9 Xymon servers running 4.3.30-1 from the
Terabithia repo. Everything seems to work fine except that the event
history list ("last 50 events") has links that use the epoch time format
for the individual events, but the files in $XYMONHISTLOGS directories
contain files in the old format such as Fri_Aug_25_09:59:03_2023. When I
click on an event dot, I'm given a webpage with the message "Historical
status log not available". If I rename/symlink the file to the epoch time
format (eg 1692921543) then it displays just fine.

I'm aware of a patch in the Terabithia packages that change the filename
format. But reading through the patch (from the SRPM), it looks like it's
supposed to handle both old and new formats just fine. One of the things
the patch provides is the ability to override the filename format using
either the "--epochtimestamps" switch or setting the "EPOCHIST" variable,
to (I think) tell "xymond_history" which format to use when creating new
history logfiles. Without these, the code should assume write format, but
read either format.

So, a couple of things here:

1) With the patch in place, new history log files should be created using
the new filename format. But they're being created with the old format.

2) With the patch in place, existing history log files with filenames in
the old format should still be readable by the CGI scripts. But they
history.sh file is failing when it can't find filenames in the new format.

Running strings on the Xymon binaries doesn't show the strings
"epochtimestamps" or "EPOCHHIST". So I don't think the patch has been fully
applied. And I don't think I can use the --epochtimestamps option to fix it.

So I'm not sure if I've done something fundamentally wrong here (probably),
or (less likely) if the patch in the SRPM has not cleanly applied when the
the RPM was built. Does anyone else have the Terabithia 4.3.30-1 package
installed on RHELv7.9, who can tell me what format your history status
files (under /var/lib/xymon/histlog/<hostname>/<testname>) are in? And can
tell me if the history events display correctly?