[Xymon] Xymon, community, updates, and directions (was Re: Is this thing on?)

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 10:31:35 CEST 2023

On 17/08/2023 19:21, J.C. Cleaver wrote:

> As it currently stands, xymon is already very efficient, so it's worth
> pointing out that the complexity really doesn't have to come in until you
> start hitting things at scale. If you're on a modern core and handling 90
> msg/s, xymond is going to be just fine. If you're trying to push 9000
> msg/s, more needs to be taken into consideration.

We see about ~100 msgs / second and CPU load on xymond has never even
crossed our radar (we run xymond on a relatively low-spec VM with a
single virtual CPU)

The place where we have historically encountered performance-related
issues was writing data to rrd files. We have a lot of custom tests and
like being able to store and graph numerical data. My colleague thus
implemented a custom xymond_channel listener which lets us take all our
custom messages that come in a whole range of different formats, parse
the messages to extract the numerical fields we're interested in, and
then store them in a postgresql backend database rather than rrd files.
This did also mean a moderate amount of custom development work for the
web frontend (including some external js libs to draw graphs) to extract
the data from the backend.

That wouldn't have been possible without the xymond_channel architecture
along with the simple and well-defined format of the xymon messages
themselves.

Adam