[Xymon] Xymon, community, updates, and directions (was Re: Is this thing on?)

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Aug 17 20:27:48 CEST 2023

On Mon, August 14, 2023 21:10, Berry van Sleeuwen wrote:
> We recently migrated our server to SLES15 SP4 and found there are a few
> network tools missing in the base, arp, netstat, ifconfig and route are
> supposed to be replaced by "ip" and "ss" command. While similar the output
> of these commands differs from the traditional tools so I guess that would
> interfere with the processing of the command output. For now it's solved
> by installing net-tools-deprecated but this might not be available in
> future versions so we might need support for these commands. I don't now
> if that is also the direction for other distributions, but it's at least
> the case for Suse and OpenSuse.

Agreed; it's similar in the RHEL side. xymond_client updates that can
interpret the output of ip and ss are probably called for now. While
deprecated net-tools will stick around for sure for current systems, it's
only a matter of time until they're removed, and in the meantime it's one
less package to have to pull in for compatibility (and to explain).

This probably goes higher on the list.

-jc