[Xymon] Xymon, community, updates, and directions (was Re: Is this thing on?)

Corentin Labbe clabbe.montjoie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 22:18:27 CEST 2023

Le Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 07:42:47AM +0100, Henrik Størner via Xymon a écrit :
> From: Henrik Størner <henrik at hswn.dk>
> Subject: Re: [Xymon] Xymon, community, updates, and directions (was Re:  Is
>  this thing on?)
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:42:47 +0100
> Cc: Xymon at xymon.com
> To: "J.C. Cleaver" <cleaver at terabithia.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> it seems this “Is Xymon dead?” thread pops up from time to time. Which is understandable, given the lack of new releases and development work.
>
> If someone would like to pick it up and dust it off in a major way, then I would suggest moving away from C as the primary language. Python would probably have a lot more potential developers. Also consider replacing the proprietary Xymon protocol with a REST API instead - then you could use standard http modules to talk to Xymon. Look at what each tool does, and reimplement it in a more modern way.

Hello

I agree on using a different language, xymon is basicly just string handling and C is dangerous with that.
I am happy you thinked about python, because my try to redo xymon was in python and I think no other language could have permitted to reimplement so many part so fast and easily.
But for me, the xymon protocol should be kept, it is easy parsable and do not need extra dependencies to be parsable.
At least for the client protocol, having a client so easy to implement is a great advantage.
For example, I could put a fake xymon client on some embedded boards (like ESP8266 and co)

> But that requires more than one enthusiastic developer.
>
> Although I do lurk on the mailing list occasionally, like JC I no longer have all of the codebase engrained in my brain. And my use of Xymon is strictly personal. So I won’t be able to contribute much.
>
> And yes, the mailing list needs a new home soon.

If nobody want to do it, I could try to install a mailman on my personnal server.
The list is so low traffic that should not be a problem.

Thanks for you work
Regards