[Xymon] xymon replacement in python

Corentin Labbe clabbe.montjoie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 21:37:15 CEST 2023

Hello

I am a big fan of xymon, and I was sad of its current maintainer status.
I could have steped as maintainer of it, but the current state of the C code let me fear to lack enough time to masterize it.
It will take days just to fix all string management warnings reported by gcc.
I tryed to fix some issues and the result could be seen at https://github.com/xython-monitoring/xymon

But I have asked myself, the protocol behing xymon is simple, why not trying to do it in python ?
My personnal needs is a little subset of what xymon support, so I started to emulate xymon in python as a PoC just to see how long it will be.
In a few hours I was able to emulate basic parts and I was more confident to step further.

So I decided to publish my current code, but I fear to publish something too early, I pray that some people could find it usefull.

I tried to document at maximum, how to test it, but I am very bad at it.
You can find the current result at https://github.com/xython-monitoring/xython

I started this some month ago and the milestones are already obsolete, I will update them.

But before progressing farther, I have still some interogation on how to handle some part.
It will be kind if some people share some informations about how they use xymon.
I am very interested about:
- number of clients (what is the greatest number of clients possible ?)
- number of hosts ? messages per second ?
- number of network tests

Thanks