[Xymon] Clearing ACK user credentials in the user interface (UI)

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Mon Nov 30 23:23:57 CET 2020

Didds

Firstly, make sure that your webserver is actually requiring authentication
when accessing the ack page. This could be by inspecting the headers in
"Developer Tools" (Ctrl+Shift-I in Firefox, Chrome and Edge) or by
reviewing the webserver log for the authenticated user field. Or you could
temporarily change the password or remove the account from xymonpasswd to
see if that fails to authenticate.

In Edge and Chrome you can selectively review and delete cached credentials
by going into Settings -> (Autofill / Profiles) -> Passwords, or entering
edge://settings/passwords or chrome://settings/passwords into the location
bar. In Firefox it's about:logins, or go to Options -> Privacy & Security
-> Logins and Passwords.

It's possible that changing the password on the webserver (in xymonpasswd)
will force the browser to prompt you for the password, and also clear the
cached entry. You can then change the password back again on the server.
But I'm not confident - it might just continue to try the old cached entry.

Just a thought: are you running a password manager such as Lastpass or
Bitwarden? These utilities might be automagically entering the credentials
for you. Lastpass has an "autofill" option that can be set/cleared for each
username/password, and if set, this might be authenticating you
automagically.

Cheers
Jeremy