[Xymon] cpu column vmstat graph

EDSchminke at Hormel.com EDSchminke at Hormel.com
Tue Jan 24 17:31:02 CET 2017

I'm trying to find the best way to add the vmstat graph to a column on my
pages for my UNIX hosts.

The easiest way, it seems is to add "GRAPHS_cpu=la,vmstat1" to the
xymonserver.cfg to override the default.  But since Windows clients don't
report CPU in a vmstat format, this has the unfortunate side effect of
putting broken images on pages for the Windows hosts I'm monitoring.  I'm
generally fine with that, but concerned that the Windows Administrators may
groan.  Perhaps I tell them "T.S." and leave it at that?  Also haven't
check, but I guessing I'm probably causing a number of logs to fill up with
error messages.

I've also experimented with putting an additional column on my UNIX pages
(e.g. vmstat), by putting that test name after the "#" in the hosts.cfg
file.  The only way I've found to make a column of an arbitrary test name
is to do one of the following:
- Have the client extension send a message with a custom test name (Have to
reconfigure all my clients)
- Add a dummy network service to the "protocols.cfg" page (potentially
producing a lot of unnecessary data)

Am I missing something?  Is there a better way to achieve this goal?

Can this be a feature request? To allow arbitrary columns after the # in
the hosts.cfg, and leave defining it to the person implementing Xymon in
their environment?

Thanks!

Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Place | Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 434-6817
edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com