[Xymon] 3 vmstat procs and other issues

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Jan 6 00:33:19 CET 2017

On 1/5/2017 3:18 PM, Galen Johnson wrote:
> Ok...looking more closely at the xymonclient-linux.sh script, it
> appears that tmpfs was intentionally not included in the exclude
> list.  At the very least, you may want to consider adding /run to the
> default excludes in analysis.cfg. I was also noticing in my df output
> that other virtual filesystems were showing (and being tracked) as
> well, such as /dev/shm and /sys.  I'm not sure why you would want
> those tracked either.  For example, here's a list of tmpfs "disks" I
> see on one of my systems:
>
> tmpfs                 2033585      9   2033576    1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                 2033585    598   2032987    1% /run
> tmpfs                 2033585     13   2033572    1% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs                 2033585     29   2033556    1% /tmp
> tmpfs                 2033585      1   2033584    1% /run/user/1984

Oy.

I'd forgotten about the newer per-user /run/ environments that were
coming in now in EL7. Definitely worth adding specific excludes for those.

/dev/shm/ is occasionally used as dedicated scratch space for some
purposes. In fact, it's the default write location for the temporary
message in the xymon-client RPM for a while now (this way you can
actually get a report when /tmp/ fills to 100%). With the proliferation
of spurious tmpfs mounts now, it might be a good idea to take another look.

OTOH, at least as far as excludes go, this might be something best
handled at a per-distribution level... leaving new, admin-created tmpfs
points tracked by default.

Regards,
-jc
-jc