[Xymon] Installing RetDS for bind statistics graphing

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:41:21 CEST 2016

Josh Luthman wrote:
> https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:retds
>
> Has anyone installed this recently?  I went through the instructions
> but I think my first snag is the lack of SSH to grab the named.stats
> file.  Watching tcpdump on the client I get no 22/tcp traffic from the
> Xymon server.
>
> My host entry (IP host and user changed):
> 192.168.1.100 foobar.imaginenetworksllc.com
> <http://foobar.imaginenetworksllc.com> # dns RNAMED:"cmd(ssh -T
> username@%{H} 2>/dev/null),statsfile(named.stats)" TRENDS:*,bindstats
>
> I do have an SSH trust but it's not getting that far, Xymon isn't
> attempting to SSH at all.
>
> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373

First thought is to try to do the ssh command in the scripts manually as
the Xymon user and see if it's wanting to update the known_hosts or
waiting for someone to accept the remote key... etc.

I know it's kind of an obvious thing and you might have checked it but
I've seen fun with ssh scripts like that which timeout waiting for user
intervention.
After a manual run it's good to go for the rest of the life or until
modified.

Bill

--
Digital had it then. Don't you wish you could buy it now!
pechter-at-gmail.com http://xkcd.com/705/