[Xymon] Formatting errors on log files

Greg Krpan gjkrpan43 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:30:32 CEST 2016

So the memory usage on the machine is fairly high.  This system is a VM,
and was built with only 2GB of memory, of which about 1.8GB is in use.  I
have a maintenance window coming up this week where I am going to increase
the available memory to the server, but I will also try to inject the 2
MALLOC debugging that you suggested into things as well to watch for
additional issues as time goes on.  Hopefully that can help to identify
where the problem lies and I can be a testbed to help determine a
resolution.

Greg.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Japheth Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org>
wrote:

> On 10/24/2016 10:59 AM, Greg Krpan wrote:
>
>> I haven't noticed any errors through xymond_client or from debug mode.
>>
>> After running the xymoncmd line above I get the following:
>>
>> ./xymoncmd xymon 127.0.0.1 "xymondlog wstc-lr0dhcp1.svcs"
>> wstc-lr0dhcp1|svcs|red||1477331698|1477331698|1477333498|0|
>> 0|15.1.160.11|460159|||Y|
>> red Mon Oct 24 11:55:55 2016 - Services NOT ok
>> &red BBWin: No matching service - want started/automatic
>> &green DHCPServer is started/automatic - want started/automatic
>> &green McAfeeFramework is started/automatic - want started/automatic
>> &green McShield is started/automatic - want started/automatic
>> &green McTaskManager is started/automatic - want started/automatic
>> &green VMTools is started/automatic - want started/automatic
>>
>> Name                                StartupType  Status       DisplayName
>> AeLookupSvc                         manual       stopped
>> Application Experience
>> ALG                                 manual       stopped
>> Application Layer Gateway Service
>> AppIDSvc                            manual       stopped
>> Application Identity
>> Appinfo                             manual
>>   sta]ted        Application Information
>> AppMgmt                             manual       stopped
>> Application Management
>> AppReadiness                        manual       stopped        App
>> Readiness
>> AppXSvc                             manual       stopped        AppX
>> Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
>> AudioEndpointBuilder                manual       stopped        Windows
>> Audio Endpoint Builder
>> Audiosrv                  ]
>>         manual       st]
>> ped        Windows Audio
>> ]BWin                               automatic    started        Big
>> Brother Xymon Client
>> BFE                                 automatic    started        Base
>> Filtering Engine
>>
> *snip*
>
> Thanks; that confirms that the issue involved xymond_client or xymond, and
> isn't related to the web display.
>
> Looking through the changes from 4.3.25 to 4.3.27, it's hard to see what
> might be causing this issue.
>
> Is there any chance you're under a significant memory pressure on this
> machine? Would you be able to add some glibc debugging at all?
> If so, would you be able to add an:
> (export) MALLOC_CHECK_=3
> (export) MALLOC_PERTURB_=1
> ... into the environment? This might help trigger a memory issue that
> could otherwise go unnoticed.
>
> Alternatively, the next step might be to downgrade to 4.3.25 and see if
> that fixes the problem (if so, that really indicated there's a specific
> hidden issue here). Also, it might be interesting to see if the el7
> Terabithia RPMs show the same problem for you. There was a significant
> increase in lookup/buffer debugging in xymond_client in there that's also
> [...]

In honor of those who lost their lives exploring the final frontier:
Apollo 1; January 27, 1967 Virgil "Gus" Ivan Grissom, Edward Higgins White
II, Roger Bruce Chaffee
Space Shuttle Challenger, Mission STS-51-L; January 28, 1986 Francis R.
Scobee, Michael J. Smith, Judith A. Resnik, Ellison S. Onizuka, Ronald E.
McNair, Gregory B. Jarvis, Sharon Christa McAuliffe
Space Shuttle Columbia, Mission STS-107; February 1, 2003 Rick D. Husband,
William C. McCool, Michael P. Anderson, Kalpana Chawla, David M. Brown,
Laurel Blair Salton Clark, Ilan Ramon