[Xymon] IPv6 xymonnet support?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Oct 11 02:03:54 CEST 2016

On Sun, October 9, 2016 4:19 pm, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> Hi all
>
> It's been a long time since the last mention on this (or the "-dev") list
> of IPv6 support for Xymon.  I'd like to get some idea as to the level of
> support that's currently available, if anyone can report.  Or if more
> progress is expected soon.  I understand there are time constraints - this
> is an open source product after all - so I'm not complaining, just wanting
> to see where things are up to.
>
> On reviewing the archives, the impression I have is that xymonnet in Xymon
> v5.x can send service probes using IPv6, but for some reason it is unable
> to report them to xymond.  It wasn't clear to me why xymonnet wouldn't be
> able to do that, so I'm wondering if I have just misunderstood.
>
> I have a pair of Xymon servers (v4.3.27) on dual-stack, and some servers
> in
> their purview are running services on dual-stack, so I'm keen to find a
> way
> to monitor and alarm on the IPv6 services.  I'm wondering if I could run
> the xymonnet from v5 and get any sort of benefit over the v4.  Or perhaps
> would need to run both, and give the v5 a separate hosts.cfg.
>
> Cheers
> Jeremy

The xymonnet from 4.x should be able to run a standard IPv6 TCP check and
dual report to both versions, so long as XYMON4SERVER is in the
environment. With a dual-stacked server, you're still really only going to
be able to test single service IPs for a given test (except for the
coalescing of multiple http tests, and any conn= options). It wouldn't (I
believe) really be any different from a dual-homed IPv4 box.

A non 4.x xymond will not provide valid IP storage for the hosts.cfg
entry, I don't believe, so there will be issues with ghost analysis and
various other places. Any IPv6 xymonnet testing should be done using a
separate hosts.cfg fed into xymonnet, with hostname entries matching those
in the one xymond is using (and an unused IPv4 there). Testing on this
would be quite helpful, of course.

The sticking points on 4.x branch are mostly in compression, so you'll
want to keep that disabled for any xymonnet -> xymond5 as well.

HTH,
-jc