[Xymon] IPv6 xymonnet support?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Oct 10 01:19:56 CEST 2016

Hi all

It's been a long time since the last mention on this (or the "-dev") list
of IPv6 support for Xymon.  I'd like to get some idea as to the level of
support that's currently available, if anyone can report.  Or if more
progress is expected soon.  I understand there are time constraints - this
is an open source product after all - so I'm not complaining, just wanting
to see where things are up to.

On reviewing the archives, the impression I have is that xymonnet in Xymon
v5.x can send service probes using IPv6, but for some reason it is unable
to report them to xymond.  It wasn't clear to me why xymonnet wouldn't be
able to do that, so I'm wondering if I have just misunderstood.

I have a pair of Xymon servers (v4.3.27) on dual-stack, and some servers in
their purview are running services on dual-stack, so I'm keen to find a way
to monitor and alarm on the IPv6 services.  I'm wondering if I could run
the xymonnet from v5 and get any sort of benefit over the v4.  Or perhaps I
would need to run both, and give the v5 a separate hosts.cfg.

Cheers
Jeremy