[Xymon] Xymon installation comes up with empty graphs

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Nov 9 00:47:14 CET 2016

On 11/8/2016 4:24 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:
> On 11/03/16 14:44, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> a xymon 4.3.27 installation I set up a while back generally works, but
>> comes up with all blank graphs.
>
> Digging into it some more, I have
>

> #!/bin/sh
> rrd="/var/xymon/rrd/Gurgler/tcp.ssh.rrd"
>
> rrdtool graph "/tmp/rrd-ssh-output.png" \
>     --width=800 -v "ssh response time" \
>     -s 'now-48h' -e now \
> DEF:time1=${rrd}:sec:AVERAGE \
> LINE2:time1#FF0000:time1
>

> creating a proper graph (for the fun of it:
> <https://www2.nt.tu-darmstadt.de/~hf/xymon/rrdtool-graph-output.png>).
>
> On the other hand,
>

> #!/bin/sh
> REQUEST_METHOD=GET
> SCRIPT_NAME=showgraph.sh
> QUERY_STRING="host=Gurgler&color=green&service=tcp%3aconn&graph_height=120&graph_width=576&disp=Gurgler&nostale&graph=daily&action=view"
>

> export REQUEST_METHOD SCRIPT_NAME QUERY_STRING
>
> showgraph.cgi \
>     --env=/etc/pkg/xymon/xymonserver.cfg \
>     | tail -n +4 > /tmp/showgraph-output.png
>

> leaves me with an empty graph - see
> <https://www2.nt.tu-darmstadt.de/~hf/xymon/showgraph-output.png>.
>
> Adding --debug doesn't bring up anything helpful; --save does not
> write anything, fwiw.
>
> For sh!ts and giggles, and to rule out pkgsrc artefacts, I installed
> xymon from the distribution sources, and got identical results..This
> needed a few NetBSD specific patches, which I saw the pkg maintainer
> had sent to the list before, but they were never incorporated -- what
> is the accepted way to submit patches?
>
> I do not at this point have a comprehensive mental image of xymon's
> inner workings, so hints and pointers would be very helpful.
>
> Cheerio,
> hauke

Ahh. Took me a bit to realize that you meant an RRD graph with no data
in it rather than just a blank (or invalid) image. :)

The query_string looks correct and it appears to work fine on a test
environment. One point, though, is that you're looking at two different
data sources. The manual script is looking at SSH, while the shell
wrapper is reading the conn (ping) test. Does "tcp%3assh" instead of
"tcp%3aconn" work for you?

On a broader note are *any* graphs showing data properly on the trends
pages?

-jc