[Xymon] Devmon tests clear but snmpwalk works

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon May 30 07:21:20 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
> Yep, did this after reading through your other thread again.
>
> Still no change in behavior.  Tis very strange as we have many of this
> model switch responding correctly and the cisco router (and another type of
> Cisco switch) installed on those sites are working as expected.

Ah, was worth a shot.

Another possibility I seem to recall people having problems with is the use
of bulk responses.  In SNMPv2c, you can send a query for a tree walk and
get one single response (depending on size) with lots of OIDs in it, and
some devices might have problems with this.  If you switch the devmon
config to v1, you disable bulk responses, and it might be a bit more
reliable for some devices, although it'll generate a bit more outbound
traffic in some cases.