[Xymon] xymon for AIX

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu May 26 07:05:14 CEST 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 4:44 AM L Foo <wonderfoo2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The netcat to port 1984 seems to have went through/connected ok based on
> below output:
>
> # nc -v 172.31.2.131 1984
> Ncat: Version 6.40 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
> Ncat: Connected to 172.31.2.131:1984.

You ran this on the AIX host?  If this works, then telnet should have also
worked, and so should the xymon client.

Can you please try the following (on the AIX host):

# echo "ping" | nc 127.31.2.131 1984

That should return the xymon version details of the Xymon server.

Then try this:

# /xymon/bin/xymon 172.31.2.131 ping

You should see the same thing.  Or maybe a timeout

If this doesn't work, then can you try this:

# truss -f /xymon/bin/xymon 172.31.2.131 ping

I'm particularly interested in the output around socket() and connect()
calls, and what responses codes are given.

I'm wondering if you have some sort of kernel-based binary restrictions in
place, such as Trusted AIX, TCB or Trusted Execution.  From what I can
tell, these tools allow one to lock down a server so that no unauthorized
binaries can execute, or they might be able to execute but cannot perform
certain functions.

An alternative to all of this is to use my xymon-rclient script, available
on xymonton.org, or http://tools.rebel-it.com.au/xymon-rclient.
Essentially it allows for an clientless client by pushing the Xymon client
script to the target from the Xymon server (typically over ssh) and grabs
the client data directly.  In this way, it doesn't rely on a xymon client
binary.  There are some limitations, which is why it's better to try to get
your client working, but it may be easier to get something going this way.

Cheers
Jeremy