[Xymon] New to Xymon - having an issue

John Langbein bigbandjohn at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:14:33 CEST 2016

Greetings.

I was a Big Brother user many moons ago and contributed many modules
including for a database, a "multi module" and hot plug-in modules. In
recent years I have moved away from the monitoring role, but recently have
been thrust back into it. I am looking at many packages, and I am leaning
towards Xymon as I like the "at a glance" dashboard for many of the people
who may look at it. I am using CentOS 7.1 for my OS, and fairly quickly got
it working at a basic level.

The issue I am having is with data. I was going to deploy OpenNMS, but I
noticed Xymon has graphing capabilities. One tool would be awesome.
However, I am running into issues. I have tried installing all prerequisite
RPM's, and even tried installing the packages via configure/make, but I
just can't get xymon to find the graphing include files or libraries. I
have done quite a few searches and nothing is really working for my case. I
even used the --rddinclude DIR and -rrdlib DIR flags as it suggested with
appropriate substitutions and pointing straight at it hasn't worked.

I would really appreciate some help here. Perhaps I installed the wrong
base configuration (webserver, no GUI). I am pointing to YUM and can
download any packages needed. If I can download via YUM that would be
preferred, but if compiling myself works better I have no fear or issue
doing that.

Once I get past this I am sure they will be happy with the tool and I can
move forward installing agents, but my question concerning that can wait
for another day.

Thanks.

John Langbein