[Xymon] Monitoring file size on Windows with PowerShell client

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Mar 30 18:19:59 CEST 2016

On Tue, March 29, 2016 8:11 pm, Colin Coe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to monitor a couple of files on a bunch of Windows clients.
>
> /etc/xymon/analysis.cfg
> HOST=%winclnt.*
>         FILE C:\users\user.domain\Documents\Timing.log       SIZE>500M
> yellow
>         FILE C:\users\user.domain\Documents\Timing.log       SIZE>1G red
>         FILE C:\users\user.domain\Documents\Trace.log        SIZE>500M
> yellow
>         FILE C:\users\user.domain\Documents\Trace.log        SIZE>1G red
>
> /etc/xymon/client-local.cfg
> file:C:\users\user.domain\Documents\Timing.log   SIZE>1G red
> file:C:\users\user.domain\Documents\Trace.log    SIZE>500M yellow
>
> Looking at the man page for client-local.cfg, its colon (:) delimited.
> How
> do I specify the file path for Windows clients?

The fields in client-local.cfg (once the appropriate [section] is found)
are, strictly speaking, arbitrary and interpreted by the client, so this,
in the immediate case, would be a WinPS question. As you've noted, the
analysis.cfg section is what's used back in xymond_client, which is
space-delimited and can do quote-wrapping or regular expressions.

I think a quoted string (' ... ') might be the best syntax addition here
(for both logfetch and WinPS). Adding normal escapability using the
expected method of backslashes would IMO make the Windows path even
worse...

Another option is to use `exec` commands to 'ECHO filename' (or DIR /B),
or a glob-like wildcard, but I'm not certain if WinPS supports either.

HTH,
-jc