[Xymon] Replacing the smtp test in protocols.cfg

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Mar 25 19:12:05 CET 2016

On 3/24/2016 3:39 PM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:
- snip -
>>> Two questions:
>>> Is there anyone for whom this test is _not_ filling up the error log on
>>> their smtp server?
>>>
>>> If I edit the native protocol.cfg, am I correct that I'll need to
>>> replace
>>> protocols.cfg with each code update?
>
> One option here is to place your edits in a separate file included at the
> top.

Dang. I hadn't thought of that.  I've now done this and the new test
definitions behave as expected.

My first question, however, remains unanswered.

Is there anyone using the SMTP test for whom the test is _not_
generating smtp 50X error results?

Why is the xymon protocol test sending a blatantly invalid command
"mail\r\n" to the smtp server?

The smtp verb MAIL must be followed with something to mail. Xymonnet
isn't considering the response to this "send" string, only the response
the smtp server gives to the initial connection. Where is the benefit of
sending anything other than a "quit\r\n" to politely close the
connection and free the smtp server-resources?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration