[Xymon] Advice for installing Xymon server supporting TLS 1.2

Ian Burrowes ian.burrowes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 06:17:40 CET 2016

Hi All,

I have an older Xymon server (4.3.9) that I am replacing / upgrading to the
current version (4.3.26).  What I absolutely require from my new build is
HTTPS check compatibility with websites that only accept modern security
protocols like TLS, i.e. not SSL2 or SSL3, that are no longer safe to use.

My existing Xymon server can't connect to some of our more secure websites
that only uses TLS 1.1+ or require SNI support.  I have been practising my
new Xymon build in a virtual environment on CentOS 7.2 but have not been
able to get it into a state that can connect to all our more secure
websites, usually getting 'SSL Error' on the HTTP check.  (error also
replicated with wget)

I know this is related to the version of OpenSSL installed on the system.
I think I want the newest version available!

I have tried using both the Terabithia Xymon package and compiling myself.
I have also tried to install or upgrade a newer version of OpenSSL either
before or after installing xymon.  (Often when I update the version of
OpenSSL will revert to an older version when I do a 'yum update').

I have searched the mailing list and found others with related issues, but
rather than ask for specific troubleshooting steps, I wonder if anyone
could provide general advice in terms of the order of installing components
when setting up a fresh Xymon server for it to hopefully use the most
recent version of OpenSSL available and be able to be updated with yum in
future?

Kind Regards,

Ian