[Xymon] Server to Server communication

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Mar 17 23:55:25 CET 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:24 AM J.C. Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org>
wrote:

> There's also xymonproxy (receive and relay), xymonfetch (retrieve from
> clients), and msgcache (store local messages on clients until picked up),
> which can all also run on arbitrary ports, but -again- you're still just
> speaking BB there.

Do either xymonproxy or msgscache ever save their cache to the local
filesystem?  The man pages don't mention anything about this.

If not, then that means there's a possibility of losing messages that have
left the xymon client but not yet arrived at the server, if the
xymonproxy/msgcache process is restarted.  I'm looking at the possibility
of implementing a xymonproxy or msgcache deployment, and it would be good
to know the level of robustness for these two solutions.  (Sorry, not
meaning to hijack the thread.)

If so, then could the directory containing this/these status message(s) be
replicated across a firewall that permits copying files?  While not
particularly pretty, it just might work for Trevor.